Oxymetholone (trade names Anadrol, A50, Anadrol, Oxydex, Oxanabolic, etc.) is androgeno-anabolic steroid (AAS) with synthetic origin. One of the strongest pharmacological drugs that have been used for more than half a century by athletes of various sports. The steroid is great for gaining muscle mass.
Description and brief history of Oxymetholone
Oxymetholone was first developed by Syntex Pharmaceuticals in 1959 and released in the early 1960s. The drug was developed to treat osteoporosis, stimulate muscle growth, increase appetite and treat anemia caused by insufficient production of red blood cells. Similar properties of anapolon is very useful for patients who have problems with weight, caused by: debilitating diseases (infections), different degrees of burns, injuries, and after surgery.
Although Anadrol, and was approved by the FDA for use on humans, later studies have been conducted that have shown that there are more appropriate non-steroidal drugs for the treatment of anemia and osteoporosis, such as epoetin alfa with a much smaller list of side effects.
However, despite the quite long list of side effects, oxymetholone is still used in medicine and professional sports. Also, it is well established as a drug that supports the health of patients with impaired immunity as a result of HIV infection.
Anapolon is one of the strongest anabolic steroids, and its efficacy in terms of gaining muscle mass is several times greater than testosterone. To help you understand, the anabolic activity of testosterone is 100%, whereas that of oxymetholone is 320%.
Simply put, Anadrol enhances the process of protein synthesis and muscle fiber hypertrophy so much that the athlete gains weight, roughly speaking, in the eyes. Naturally, in order that all properties of a drug proved to be fully, it is necessary to observe a training regime.
Namely, eat correctly, train hardly, sleep not less than 8 hours a day, etc. Now many believe that the program is a decisive factor in the construction of high-quality muscles, but in fact, it is a complex of measures for eating, training and recreation. This should not be forgotten.
As already mentioned, the anabolic activity of oxymetholone exceeds testosterone by three times, while conversion into estrogens is practically absent. But, not all so rosy. Despite the minimal aromatization of the drug, there is a negative side – an increase in progestins, just as it is in the case of trenbolone or nandrolone. So, due to the increase in the level of Progestogens, there may be adverse reactions in the body similar to estrogens, as progestins are a subclass of female sex hormones.
In addition, oxymetholone is known for its toxic effect on the human liver, which is comparable to methandienone, adjusted to the fact that oxymetholone is used in large dosages, and, therefore, its hepatotoxicity may be several times higher.
This drug is used mainly by experienced, often competing athletes, because only it can cause a large increase of mass in the body and already have some resistance to more llight steroids. The drug is highly appreciated by users of pharmacology in connection with its ability to instant action start and mass gains in the early days of use.
By the way, in the world of bodybuilding Anadrol became popular due to American bodybuilder Daniel “Dan” Duchaine nicknamed “Steroid guru”. He was known for talking openly about advantages of using pharmacology, including on television, on shows such as: 20/20, Geraldo, 60 minutes.
It can be safely called the father of modern underground steroid movement. Dan Duchain advertised oxymetholone as a cheaper alternative to Dianabol. There were rumors that he himself experienced Anadrol, making it in his house. True or not, it is hard to say for sure.
Also, there were rumors that Dan could be the founder of one of the first underground laboratories (UG Labs) in US history. A little historical information: Dan Duchain died due to kidney disease, which he probably earned by testing and using too many anabolic steroids (including Anadrol).
Name: Oxymetholone, Anapolon, Anadrol, etc.
Chemical name: [17 beta-hydroxy-2-hydroxymethylene-17 alpha-methyl-5 alpha-androstan-3-one]
Molecular weight: 332.484 g / mol
Molecular formula: C21H32O3
Melting point: 178-180 degrees celsius
Manufacturer: Syntex (originally), as well as many other pharmacological companies
Release date: 1960
Optimal dosage of the drug: 100 mg
Duration of action: <16 hours
The elimination half-life (T1/2) (reduction of concentration by half): 9 hours
The detection time of the drug: up to 8 weeks
Anabolic factor: 320% of the testosterone
Androgenic ratio: 35% from test
The effects of oxymetholone
Firstly, the drug is applied for bulking a large amount of mass and a significant increase in power performance. An athlete who does not have a lot of experience in pharmacology, with considering excess calories and intensive training, you can count on 15-20 kilograms of relatively high-quality mass.
In this case, there is a loss of several kilograms after the program, due to the release of excess water and glycogen. In addition, oxymetholone can be used for the following purposes:
The growth of power indicators. The drug significantly increases the strength, so it can be used by competing with powerlifters and weightlifters. The increase in performance is caused by an increase in muscle mass and the accumulation of a large amount of glycogen. However, oxymetholone should not be used by athletes who are trying to save their weight category.
Beneficial effects on joints and ligaments, due to fluid retention and increased prolactin, which indirectly affects the elasticity and strength of the articular and ligamentous apparatus. It is known about the mild anti-inflammatory effect. It is also noted that the drug reduces the risk of injury in training (of course, if you work with moderate, not extreme weights).
The decrease in SHBG (sex hormone-binding globulin). This feature allows you to enhance the effect of other steroids used with oxymetholone. In simple terms, we can say that the drug makes muscle and other tissues of the body more sensitive to testosterone.
Also oxymetholone studies in HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) in older men. The drug, used in small doses and with a conventional nutrition, caused an increase in 3-5 kilograms of muscle mass, and in addition there was a decrease of the fat layer. All of these effects were observed in a three-month period. Subjects at the same time continued to observe a usual way of life and didn’t carry out trainings in a gym.
In addition to changes in weight, significantly changed the visual composition of the body: it became less fat in the abdominal area, and the figure acquired athletic traits.
Side effects of oxymetholone
Side effects that deserve special attention are liver toxicity and increased prolactin. In this regard, for everyone who uses this steroid, it is recommended carry out a regular monitoring of the hormonal profile, as well as compliance with quality of diet, intake of medications and antiprogestogens.
In order to avoid excessive increase of progestins it is strictly not recommended to combine oxymetholone with trenbolone and nandrolone.
Despite the almost complete absence of influence on estrogens, the drug is still capable of causing gynecomastia and edema. Why? This has already been mentioned in the article above. So, let’s take a closer look at the list of side effects:
- Anabolic steroids can reduce blood glucose levels. Patients with diabetes should be carefully monitored for signs of hypoglycemia and dosage of hypoglycemic agent adjusted as necessary.
- The emergence of oligospermia and reduced fluid volume during ejaculation.
- Older men may experience prostate enlargement, resulting in bladder obstruction.
- Development of priapism.
- Women may experience virilization including deepening voice, hirsutism, acne, clitomegaly (not reversible), and menstrual abnormalities. The cessation of anabolic steroids at signs of mild virilization may prevent irreversible virilization. Changes in libido (increase / decrease) can occur.
- Hepatic tumors associated with anabolic steroid use are more vascular than other hepatic tumors. Tumors can remain asymptomatic until life-threatening abdominal hemorrhage develops. Hepatitis peliosis can manifest as mild liver dysfunction, leading to liver failure. Cholestatic hepatitis, jaundice and abnormal liver function tests may occur at relatively low doses.
- Oncological side effects included hepatic neoplasms and hepatocellular carcinoma following long-term treatment with high doses of anabolic steroid.
- Hematologic side effects include changes in coagulation factors II, V, VII and X, prolonged prothrombin time (PT), and increased erythrocyte production. Leukemia was reported to be rare in the treatment of oxymetholone in patients with aplastic anemia. The causal link has not been established and leukemia has been observed in patients with aplastic anemia who were not receiving oxymetholone.
- Endocrine side effects include inhibition of the release of endogenous testosterone by inhibiting the feedback of the hypothetical luteinizing hormone (LH). Large doses of exogenous anabolic steroids can suppress spermatogenesis by inhibiting the pituitary follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). Androgenic activity of anabolic steroids may decrease the level of thyroxine binding globulin and result in a decrease in the total serum level of T4 and an increase in the absorption of T3 and T4. Free levels of thyroid hormones remain unchanged, there are no clinical data on thyroid dysfunction.
- Metabolic side effects include osteolytic hypercalcemia in immobilized patients or patients with metastatic breast disease. Anabolic steroids affect electrolyte balance, nitrogen retention and calcium excretion in urine. Decrease in glucose tolerance, requiring adjustments in hyperglycemic control, was noted in patients with diabetes. There has been a significant increase in low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and a decrease in high-density lipoprotein (HDL), which can increase the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Psychiatric side effects include addiction, arousal, insomnia, depression and libido changes.
Consult your doctor if:
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking oxymetholone: acne, shortness of breath, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat.
Prolonged use of oxymetholone can cause liver tumors or blood-filled cysts in the liver or spleen. Call your doctor immediately if you have: nausea, abdominal pain, rapid weight gain, loss of appetite, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Also call your doctor right away if you have: painful or difficult urination, painful erection, decreased libido, impotence, orgasm problems, reduced sperm count in ejaculation, mild bruising or bleeding (nasal bleeding, bleeding gums).
The program oxymetholone for athletes
Due to the severity of the drug can be used “solo”. But athletes who want to get the maximum result, it is still recommended to combine it with testosterone. The best time too take a drug from the age of 21. The duration of the program should be about from 4 to 6 weeks. No more, as the drug is very hepatotoxic.
The initial dosage should be no more than 50 mg / day, and then, if necessary, smoothly increase the dosage to 100 mg. In cases of dose excess above the recommended level, the amplification effect is not observed: on the contrary, the action remains the same, with increasing several times the intensity of side effects.
In some cases, professional bodybuilders use a single reception of high doses of oxymetholone shortly before entering the competitive scene. This approach allows us to obtain a powerful accumulation of glycogen and thus – filled and bulky muscles.
The use of oxymetholone is allowed for athletes who are intolerant of steroids with a high androgen index. This may concern those who inherently have high risks of androgenic alopecia and prostate hypertrophy. But unfortunately, even in such cases, background use of dihydrotestosterone blockers may be necessary, since a low androgen index is not always a guarantee of preventing disorders associated with excess DHT.
What to combine oxymetholone with?
To gain strength and muscle mass, the drug is usually combined with short and long esters of testosterone, such as: cypionate, enanthate, phenylpropionate, testosterone propionate. Also, to achieve similar goals, oxymetholone can be taken in combination with Methenolone, boldenone, Deca Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate) Sustanon-250. For cutting, due to the strong delay of the liquid, the substance is used very rarely.
To avoid an increased load on the liver, the drug can not be combined with steroids in which a change in position 17 was made, that is, “17-alpha alkylated”. In other cases, the ligament with other drugs makes oxymetholone synergistic, increasing the effect of pharmacological agents.
Post cycle therapy after oxymetholone
In order to restore the natural production of testosterone by the body, after the program of oxymetholone it is recommended to take Clomiphene Citrate for 2 weeks (1 pill of Sutra, one pill on the evening during FIRST WEEK and 1 pill on the morning during SECOND WEEK).
I want to note that after a program of oxymetholone, you should avoid taking tamoxifen. This is due to its tendency to stimulate the release of prolactin. The PCT should start 5-7 days after the end of the program. Also, it will not be superfluous to use the Tribulus terrestris after receiving clomid.