- 1 What is a defensive slide in basketball?
- 2 What are the main 2 types of defenses in basketball?
- 3 What muscles do defensive slides work?
- 4 What is a defender in basketball?
- 5 What is the best defense in basketball?
- 6 What are the 3 stages of defense?
- 7 What is the footwork rule?
- 8 What does ball side mean?
- 9 What is Stage 1 Defence in netball?
- 10 Which two positions can score in netball?
- 11 What is shadowing in netball?
- 12 How do you do a Dodge in netball?
- 13 What is Double Dodge in netball?
- 14 How can I improve my dodging skills?
- 15 What is a dodge in netball?
- 16 Can you touch the ball when defending in netball?
- 17 What are the different types of dodges?
- 18 What is the footwork rule in netball?
- 19 What does footwork mean?
- 20 Can you jump and shoot in netball?
- 21 Is footwork a skill?
- 22 How can I improve my ball control and dribbling?
- 23 Why is footwork important?
- 24 How do you get good footwork in basketball?
- 25 Does footwork make you faster?
What is a defensive slide in basketball?
A defensive slide in basketball is a technique used by players on the defensive end of the floor. Defensive slides are mainly used by on-the-ball defenders attempting to prevent the offense from scoring.
What are the main 2 types of defenses in basketball?
There are two main types of team defense: man-to-man and zone. Man-to-man defense is easy to explain. It’s just each player covering one player on the other team. You stay with your player and try to keep them from scoring.
What muscles do defensive slides work?
- Type: Cardio.
- Main Muscle Worked: Quadriceps.
- Equipment: Body Only.
- Level: Beginner.
What is a defender in basketball?
A defender should be as close to the basketball as possible but still close enough to their player that if a skip pass to them was made, the defender would have time to close out and establish defensive position without allowing an open shot.
What is the best defense in basketball?
What are the 3 stages of defense?
In training this week, the players learnt about the three stages of defence: marking the player, marking the ball and marking the space. We started with the stance that a defender should use to defend a player.
What is the footwork rule?
Footwork in netball applies when a player is stepping, landing and pivoting while in possession of the ball. A free pass is awarded to the opposing team if a player breaks the footwork rule. The footwork law states a player must release the ball before putting their pivoting leg down once it is raised.
What does ball side mean?
“Ball-side” refers to the side of the floor where the ball is. “Weak-side” is the opposite side away from the ball. Players cutting on the weak-side toward the hoop, are using the “back-door”. “10 second line”, or half-court line, is the line down the center of the floor.
What is Stage 1 Defence in netball?
Stage 1. Mark the player- they haven’t got the ball yet but you can still man-mark them. Stage 2. Your player’s received the ball and now you’re up close to make life difficult for them.
Which two positions can score in netball?
Goal Attack (GA) and Goal Shooter (GS) are the only players allowed to shoot and score goals. Shots must be taken within the shooting circle, sometimes referred to as the D or semi-circle.
What is shadowing in netball?
Netball: Shadowing The defender runs alongside the attacker, trying to keep the attacker on the outside edges of the channel by turning their body as the attacker jogs/ changes direction.
How do you do a Dodge in netball?
- Feet shoulder width apart (weight evenly distributed)
- Players on their toes – ready to move.
- Player takes two steps one way, drops the shoulder, push off the outside foot to change direction and drive onto the ball the opposite way.
What is Double Dodge in netball?
Page 1. DOUBLE DODGE. PURPOSE. Double Dodging is a quick movement to the left / right / left or vice versa. Double Dodging is often used in confined spaces eg GS v GK or WA v WD on Centre Pass or trying to get onto the goal circle.
How can I improve my dodging skills?
For children at the acquired or accomplished level of dodging skill development:
- Increase the speed of the dodge.
- Have a go at double dodges – dodge in one direction and then quickly dodge the other direction.
- Incorporate into games such as Dodge Ball, have to dodge ball not jump over it.
What is a dodge in netball?
You need to outpace your opponent and keep moving all the time. Dodge: You need to use very quick footwork to trick your opponent into moving one way. Feint to go one way by moving your feet and body. Once you have your opponent off balance, you can set off in the other direction and into space.
Can you touch the ball when defending in netball?
Netball is a non-contact sport, and players cannot make physical contact with one another on the court. Players can defend a member of the other team who does not have the ball but they cannot touch them or snatch the ball from under their nose!
What are the different types of dodges?
United States models
- Dodge 330 (1963–1964)
- Dodge 400 (1982–1983)
- Dodge 440 (1963–1964)
- Dodge 600 (1983–1988)
- Dodge 880 and Custom 880 (1962–1965)
- Dodge Aries (1981–1989)
- Dodge Aspen (1976–1980)
- Dodge Avenger (1995–2000, 2008–2014)
What is the footwork rule in netball?
Footwork. A player can receive the ball: With both feet grounded or jump to catch the ball and land on two feet simultaneously. You may then take a step in any direction with one foot (but not both) and pivot on the spot with the other foot. Once one foot is moved, the other is considered to be the landing foot.
What does footwork mean?
1 : the activity of moving from place to place the investigation entailed a lot of footwork. 2 : the management of the feet (as in boxing) also : the work done with them.
Can you jump and shoot in netball?
you can jump and shoot provided you release the ball prior to making contact with the ground. if you did not, this would be called a step (or travel in basketball lingo). If while jumping, and you jump and make contact with the ball or your body with the defender then it will be your contact (foul).
Is footwork a skill?
One of the most important skills a successful offensive player needs is proper footwork. This skill is what separates many great players from good players. One player that took footwork to the next level was Kobe Bryant. He often was able to get open shots just by shifting his feet before or after the catch.
How can I improve my ball control and dribbling?
9 Tips To Improve Your Dribbling & Ball Handling
- Dribble the ball hard.
- Head up at all times.
- Use your finger tips to control the ball, not your palm.
- Use your imagination.
- Teach mentality.
- Basketball is a game of length.
- Basketball is also a game of angles.
- Don’t do things in 2 dribbles that you can do in 1.
Why is footwork important?
One of the reasons footwork holds importance in sports is because it has the ability to reduce your risk of injury. With a better footwork, an athlete can be in the desired position at any given time while he maintains proper form to reduce the chances of injury.
How do you get good footwork in basketball?
The following are 10 important aspects of footwork that I have used in coaching major college and pro players:
- Ready Position. You can’t score unless you make shots.
- Two-Foot Jump Stop.
- Tripod Lunge Step.
- Jab Step.
- Crossover Step.
Does footwork make you faster?
This might come as a shock, but fast feet will not make you fast. Furthermore, the ability to move your feet quickly will not make you agile. With that out of the way, let’s end some misconceptions regarding the “speed ladder” or “agility ladder.” This might come as a shock, but fast feet will not make you fast.