- 1 Who is the most decorated female Olympian?
- 2 Which female athlete has the most Olympic medals?
- 3 What was the penalty for cheating in the ancient Olympics?
- 4 Why were the ancient Olympics held every 4 years?
- 5 Who were allowed to participate in the ancient Olympics?
- 6 Did Sparta participate in the Olympics?
- 7 Who was the first woman to compete in the Olympics?
- 8 What country was in the first Olympics?
- 9 What was the prize for winning the ancient Olympics?
- 10 How much did Athenian Olympic winners have to pay for their dinners?
- 11 What was the most popular Olympic event in ancient Greece?
- 12 What was the prize that an athlete won on the first Olympic Games?
- 13 Has anyone won Olympic medals in different sports?
- 14 What happens if you win a gold medal in the Olympics?
- 15 Who is the richest athlete ever?
- 16 What age do most figure skaters retire?
- 17 What do Olympians do when not competing?
Who is the most decorated female Olympian?
Which female athlete has the most Olympic medals?
The most Olympic medals won by a woman is eighteen by gymnast Larisa Semyonovna Latynina (USSR), nine gold, five silver and four bronze, 1956–64.
What was the penalty for cheating in the ancient Olympics?
What was the penalty for cheating? Anyone who violated the rules was fined by the judges. The money was used to set up statues of Zeus, the patron god of the Games at Olympia. In addition to using bribes, other offenses included deliberately avoiding the training period at Olympia.
Why were the ancient Olympics held every 4 years?
The ancient Olympics were held every four years during a religious festival to honor the Greek God, Zeus. Consequently, to respect the ancient origins of the Summer Olympics, the modern Olympics are held every four years.
Who were allowed to participate in the ancient Olympics?
Only Greek and boys, who were free citizens, not criminals, and whose city states agreed to participate in the Olympic truce of the games, were allowed to compete.
Did Sparta participate in the Olympics?
3. Politics and warfare were absent from the ancient Olympics. During the Peloponnesian War in 424 B.C., Spartans were banned from competing in or attending the games.
Who was the first woman to compete in the Olympics?
Hélène de Pourtalès
What country was in the first Olympics?
What was the prize for winning the ancient Olympics?
crown of olive leaves
How much did Athenian Olympic winners have to pay for their dinners?
An Athenian winner could expect a very substantial 500 drachmas in addition to free meals at the city hall for life. At various times and locations, the Olympic winner could receive a lifetime pension, tax breaks and honorary benefits such as front seats at the theater.
What was the most popular Olympic event in ancient Greece?
What was the prize that an athlete won on the first Olympic Games?
Has anyone won Olympic medals in different sports?
Frank Kugler: Multiple Sports, United States. Frank Kugler is the only athlete in Olympic history to win a medal in three different sports. In the 1904 Olympics, he won a silver medal in men’s freestyle wrestling, and bronze medals in two-hand lift, all-around dumbell and team tug-o-war.
What happens if you win a gold medal in the Olympics?
The International Olympic Committee doesn’t give prize money, but many countries reward their medalists with a bonus. U.S. Olympians, for example, earned $37,500 for each gold medal won this year, $22,500 for each silver and $15,000 for each bronze. Winners also bring home the actual medal, too.
Who is the richest athlete ever?
1. Michael Jordan – NBA (United States) Up to date, NBA stars take home hefty earnings. During MJs entire career, the former 6-time world NBA champion had received an unbelievable endorsement deal from prime sportswear companies like NIKE, Chevrolet, among others.
What age do most figure skaters retire?
Skaters start skating when they’re very young, usually before they’re 10 years old, and most singles skaters retire in their mid-to-late-20s. Pair skaters and ice dancers usually last longer because they don’t have to do as many jumps as singles skaters; some compete into their early-to-mid-30s.
What do Olympians do when not competing?
Sponsorships, endorsement deals, or becoming a motivational speaker are a few of the ways this is possible — or a former Olympian might even become a coach in their own right. Motivational speaking is a great way to continue your legacy after your time competing is over while making money.